The Olde Barn is nestled on The Lincolnshire Wolds and offers gastro food at great prices as well as entertainment with live acts and karaoke nights as well as spiritual nights with mediums such as Paul Humphries.
Why would you visit Tealby? Well Tealby is a beautiful English village on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, with many houses and cottages built from the locally mined orange hued ironstone, and set in attractive country cottage gardens. The village has an interesting history going back to the Viking times and many old Danish names are still in use around the village today.
Tealby was previously known as Tavelesbi, Tauelesbi, Tauelebi and Teuelesby and many other variations. At one time it was thought that "Tealby" was derived from the Anglo-Saxon word "taefl", meaning chessboard or table and from the Old Danish word "by", meaning a farmstead or village. Hence, table village, possibly indicating a flat topped hill. However, more recent study by Professor Kenneth Cameron suggests that "Tealby" is probably derived from the East Germanic tribal-name "Taifali" and the Old Danish word "by". Detachments of the Taifali are recorded in Britain in the early 5th century. Therefore, "Tealby" probably means the village of the Taifali people
Tealby’s continued existence and growth was founded on the reliable source of water from the springs at Bully Hill which came together to form the River Rase. The Rase was harnessed to establish a milling industry in Tealby, initially for grinding corn and subsequently for papermaking, from the early 17th Century up until 1830.
All Saints Church stands elevated above the village and dates back to the 12th Century. It has a number of notable features including memorials to the Tennyson family, George and Mary were the grandparents of Alfred Lord Tennyson, the Poet Laureate.
George’s second son, Charles Tennyson D’Eyncourt built a sixty-roomed Romantic styled house called Bayons Manor. It took 7 years to build. Charles lived there until 1861 and subsequently his descendants, who lived there until the Second World War when it was occupied by troops. The manor fell into sad neglect after that and was finally blown up in 1964. In only 120 years this impressive residence was built and destroyed, although its occupants have left a lasting influence on the village and its community.
Charles Tennyson D’Eyncourt was responsible for building the striking Village Primary School in 1856 with its roof structure modelled on the hammer beams in Westminster Hall. The school remains in use today, attracting children from Tealby and surrounding villages.
Tealby is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and partly in a Conservation Area. The long-distance footpath of 235 kilometres (147 miles), The Viking Way, passes through the village.
Tealby has always been a lively village and remains so today, particularly in contrast to many modern-day rural villages. It has a strong community spirit and has become a very popular place to visit for a day or a longer holiday break.